You can claim compensation if your rental accommodation has damp and mould due to defects that your landlord is responsible for repairing. You must be able to show that your landlord has either refused to fix the problem, or has carried out a repair to a poor standard.

Speak to our housing disrepair solicitors – England and Wales

Are you dealing with damp and mould in a rented property? If your landlord fails to address the problem, then you could have grounds for a housing disrepair claim. Contact us at Ashmans Solicitors for a free assessment of your claim. Ensure that you collect evidence of any disrepair in the property. Make sure that you understand your responsibilities as a tenant.

Who is responsible for mould: landlord or tenant?

If you are renting a property with mould/damp issues, you might wonder: who is responsible? Is it the landlord? Or is it you, the tenant? The answer depends on how and why the damp/mould developed.

As a tenant, you have duty to keep your rental property well-ventilated. If you do not air out your home enough and mould develops as a result, then you are at fault. To prevent this, you might do things like dry your laundry outside or use a tumble dryer. You should also turn on the bathroom extractor fan when having a shower or bath, and leave the windows open for a short amount of time each day.

Landlords, on the other hand, are responsible for:

  • The property’s structure and exterior
  • Basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains
  • Heating and hot water
  • Gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation
  • Electrical wiring
  • Any damage they cause by attempting repairs

If mould and damp develop because any of the above are defective, then your landlord is responsible. Mould and damp are commonly associated with structural defects, particularly in old or poorly maintained properties.

Your landlord might be responsible for the mould and damp problem if it is being caused by:

  • Water leaks
  • Broken pipes, drains and guttering
  • Cracked walls
  • Rotten doors or windows
  • Rising damp, which happens when groundwater rises up through the walls
  • Rain seeping into the building through the masonry
  • Condensation due to inadequate ventilation systems, insulation or heating
  • A problem with the damp-proof course
  • Design problems which cause damage to the building

Can you sue for damp?

As a tenant, you have the right to live in a safe environment. If a defect arises and it falls under the scope of your landlord’s repair responsibilities, then your landlord must take timely action to remedy the problem. You should report the issue, after which your landlord should carry out a repair. This should effectively resolve the mould and damp, and should be performed within a ‘reasonable’ amount of time.

If your landlord fails to address the mould and damp issues in your rental accommodation, or carries out a repair to a poor standard, then you can sue for compensation. This is known as making a housing disrepair claim.

What is a housing disrepair claim?

A housing disrepair claim is when a tenant takes legal action against their landlord for failing to make the property fit for human habitation. Damp and mould are particularly common causes of housing disrepair claims. If you are struggling with damp and mould in your rental accommodation, you might be able to make a claim if:

  • Your landlord is responsible for repairing the defects that are causing the damp and mould; and
  • You have reported the problem to your landlord; and
  • A few months have passed, but your landlord has not rectified the problem

If you want to know whether you could sue your landlord for damp and mould, contact us at Ashmans Solicitors for a free assessment.

Call us on 0333 009 6275, email or complete our Free Online Enquiry Form and we’ll be in touch soon.

How much compensation can I get for damp and mould?

Every housing disrepair claim is different, so it is hard to say how much compensation you will get for damp and mould. Compensation is given for your:

  • Pain, suffering and loss of quality of life
  • Damaged possessions
  • Other financial losses

Pain, suffering and loss of quality of life

Damp and mould can adversely affect your health. The young, the elderly and those with pre-existing allergies or respiratory conditions are especially at risk. However, even adults who were previously in good health may develop asthma or other issues, particularly where black mould is concerned. Prolonged exposure to the spores in black mould can lead to infections, asthma attacks and difficulty breathing. If you have developed physical and/or psychological injuries because of the damp/mould problems in your rental property, then this will be reflected in your compensation settlement.

Your loss of quality of life should also be included in your settlement. This covers the inconvenience and discomfort that has been caused, and the impact any health conditions have had on your hobbies or general enjoyment of life.

Damaged possessions

If mould has spread to your furniture, clothes or other possessions, the cost of replacing/repairing these items can be recovered.

Other financial losses

If you have lost any finances – or spent any money – because of the housing disrepair, then this will be incorporated in your settlement. This might include lost income or the cost of a dehumidifier.

Related: How Much Is My Housing Disrepair Claim Worth?

How can you prove that mould is making you sick?

If you think the damp and mould in your rental property is making you unwell, we recommend speaking to your GP as soon as possible. If you go on to make a housing disrepair claim, this will help to prove a link between the mould and your physical injuries. We can also ask a medical expert to write a report, confirming that your health has suffered due to prolonged exposure to damp and mould.

Can you refuse to pay rent if you have mould?

You should continue to pay your rent, even if your landlord is refusing to address the damp and mould problem in your rental property. Otherwise, your landlord will have cause to evict you. Instead, you should contact our housing disrepair solicitors about making a claim. This allows you to recover a percentage of your rent, along with other damages. In the meantime, we recommend that you pay your rent in full.

Related: What Should You Do If Your Rental Property is in Disrepair?

Do you have a claim? Find out now

Living in a damp, mouldy environment is not good for your health. It is not something you should have to put up with as a tenant. If your landlord is failing to meet their repair responsibilities, meaning you have been living with damp and mould for months on end, please contact us at Ashmans Solicitors. We specialise in housing disrepair claims and can help you further. We offer a free assessment of your claim, so you can find out whether you have grounds to sue your landlord without having to pay for legal advice.

If you do decide to make a claim, we will run the case on a no win, no fee basis. This provides you with total financial protection, as you only pay our legal fees if your claim succeeds.

For a free initial enquiry, call us on 0333 009 6275, email or complete our Free Online Enquiry Form and we’ll be in touch soon.

Can I claim for damp and mould – quick facts

Can I claim for damp and mould?

You can claim for damp and mould if your landlord is responsible for fixing the damp and mould issues, but is refusing to do so (or has attempted a repair but it has not rectified the problem). You must have reported the problem to your landlord and waited a reasonable amount of time for a repair to be carried out. If nothing has been done after three months, contact us to discuss a claim.

Could damp and mould be making me ill?

Yes, damp and mould can make you ill, especially if you are exposed to it for long periods of time. It can cause breathing problems such as asthma, as well as infections and other health complaints.

Will I get compensation for mould and damp?

Yes, if your housing disrepair claim is successful, you will get compensation for your damages. You will get a percentage of your rent back, covering the amount of time you have been living with the damp and mould. You will also be compensated for other damages, like your financial losses.

Does it matter who my landlord is?

It does not matter if your landlord is a local council, social landlord or private landlord – you can make a claim for damp and mould. You should not have to live in a rental property that is not fit for human habitation.

The landlord says they’re not responsible for the damp and mould – is that right?

As outlined above, tenants are responsible for taking good care of the property, which means keeping it well ventilated. That is the extent of your obligations. Your landlord is responsible for the structure and exterior of the property, the sanitary fittings and heating. Your landlord might say the damp and mould are your fault, but this is not necessarily true. It is very common for landlords to try to shift blame onto tenants. To find out for certain, contact us for free legal advice.

Call us on 0333 009 6275, email or complete our Free Online Enquiry Form and we’ll be in touch soon.