If you are involved in a tripping accident, you need to collect as much evidence as possible. Then, you need to speak to our personal injury solicitors. This applies whether you had a tripping accident at work, in a public place or on private property.

Personal injury solicitors Leeds

Have you tripped and suffered injuries? If you think someone else is to blame, contact our injury claim lawyers now. We offer free, expert legal advice. We are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What to do after a tripping accident

After a tripping accident, your first step should be to collect as much evidence as possible. This is because, like all claims, the onus is on the injured person (known as the claimant) to prove their case. This is can be harder to achieve in tripping accidents than it can in, for example, road traffic accidents. Indeed, if a car runs a red light and T-bones your vehicle, the other driver is clearly to blame. But in tripping accidents, it must be established that the party responsible for your accident should reasonably have known about the hazard, and should have taken steps to remove it.

Of course, you do not have to prove this all by yourself. Our solicitors are here to manage your claim and establish that you have been wrongfully injured. However, there are certain things you can do after the tripping accident to help your case.

5 steps you can take after a tripping accident

1. Take photographs of the scene

Firstly, take photographs of the scene of the accident. Photograph exactly what you tripped over. Take photos from a wide variety of angles and distances. You could even position an item next to the hazard to provide perspective. If you tripped on a raised paving slab or other defects, it is helpful to take measurements of the hazard.

If your injuries are such that you cannot do this at the time of the accident, you can always return the next day, or ask someone to visit the scene and take photographs for you.

2. Get witness contact details

Did anyone see your trip? If so, ask for their name and contact details. If they are hesitant, simply explain that you would like them to verify what happened, in the event that you make a claim. If you are reading this after the accident occurred, it may be too late. Nevertheless, it may be possible to track down witnesses – perhaps people who live or work nearby, and so are in the same place day-in, day-out.

Alternatively, it might be that while no one saw you trip, other people are well aware of the hazard and can testify as to its existence. For instance, residents on a street may be familiar with a raised paving slab, and may even have reported it to the local council already.

3. See a medical professional

Visit a medical professional shortly after your tripping accident. You may already have done this, particularly as trips typically lead to fractured wrists, broken arms and head injuries. If you have so far resisted seeking professional help, we recommend visiting a doctor. This provides peace of mind that you do not have a more major underlying injury. It also provides a written record of your injuries, evidencing that they are linked to your accident.

4. Report the trip accident

Next, report your trip accident to the necessary authority. This depends on where your accident took place.

If you tripped at work, email your manager and outline the details of the accident. Also, ask that it is recorded in the company’s Accident Book.

If you tripped on a public highway (such as pavement, road or cycle path), contact the local authority responsible for that highway and say that you would like to report an accident.

If you tripped in a public place, such as a supermarket, ask to speak to the manager and request that the incident is recorded in the Accident Book.

Finally, if you tripped on private property, contact the owner of the premises and describe the details of your accident.

If you are not sure who to contact, or you do not feel comfortable liaising with the defendant directly, do not worry. We can report the trip accident on your behalf.

5. Get expert legal advice

Last but not least, get expert legal advice from us at Ashmans Solicitors. Our injury solicitors can explain your legal position, suggesting whether you have grounds for a compensation claim. We offer this legal advice completely free of charge.

Contact us sooner, rather than later. Trip accident claims must be brought within three years of the incident. However, it is better to begin the claim as soon as possible. Trip accident claims often hinge upon certain evidence, and this may be removed or tampered with in the days or weeks following your accident. When you contact us, we can act straight away, securing the evidence needed to succeed in your claim.

Who pays for my compensation?

If your trip accident claim is successful, you will be awarded compensation for your damages. This includes your physical/emotional injuries and financial losses. Exactly who pays for your compensation depends on where your accident took place. Trip accidents typically occur at one of the following:

  • Work
  • Public highways – including roads, pavements and cycle paths
  • Public places – including supermarkets, entertainment venues, shops, restaurants, cafés, gyms, exercise studios, schools, bars and nightclubs
  • Private property

If your accident happened at work

If your accident happened at work, your employer will be held accountable. Your employer is legally obliged to protect your health and safety while you carry out your work duties. A failure to do so will amount to a breach of duty. Your employer will have employers liability insurance. This policy will cover the cost of your compensation.

Tripping accidents at work tend to occur due to:

  • Uncovered cables and wires
  • Clutter, such as boxes that have not been tidied away
  • Uneven flooring
  • Wrinkled carpets and rugs
  • Poor lighting

If your accident happened on a public highway

Local councils are responsible for maintaining public highways such as roads, pavements and cycle paths. The highways that fall under a local authority’s scope must be inspected every six months. Any defects or potential hazards should be identified and repaired within a reasonable amount of time. If a local council fails to conduct adequate inspections, detect hazards or carry out reasonable repairs, it will be liable for any injuries that arise as a result. The local council will therefore pay for your compensation.

Tripping accidents on public highways tend to occur due to:

  • Raised or broken paving slabs
  • Uneven surfaces
  • Potholes
  • Exposed drains
  • Unexpected obstructions

If your accident happened in a public place

All areas open to the public must be kept safe. This responsibility either falls to the owner or the occupier of the premises. If you are injured due to an accident that could have been avoided, you will be entitled to make a claim against the party at-fault. The owner or occupier of the premises will have public liability insurance in place. This policy will cover the cost of your compensation settlement.

Tripping accidents in public places tend to occur due to:

  • Objects that have not been tidied away
  • Loose wires and cables
  • Loose carpeting or mats
  • Poor lighting
  • Uneven flooring

If your accident happened on private property

Owners of private property have a duty to ensure that any visitors to their property remain free from harm. If you are injured on private property, you could sue the owner. They will likely have legal expenses attached to their buildings or home contents insurance. This will cover the cost of your award. You could make a tripping claim if you were visiting a friend, family member or business acquaintance. Or if you were on someone else’s land for legitimate reasons, such as delivering a parcel.

Tripping accidents on private property tend to occur due to:

  • Loose cables and wires
  • Defective maintenance
  • Hazards that are not signposted

Personal injury solicitors London

If you have tripped and injured yourself – and you think someone else is to blame – please contact us now for a free initial enquiry. We act for clients across England and Wales. Wherever you live, we can help.

You can call us on 0333 009 6275. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.