Sick and tired of living in a home you’re not happy with?

Check to see if you’re eligible to receive housing repairs and compensation.

No-Win, No-Fee

FREE claim evaluation!

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What housing disrepairs can I claim for?


By neglecting repairs, has your landlord attracted issues such as these to your property? 

hd line blue icon


Your landlord has a duty of care. Do you have any of these outstanding issues? 

danger icon


Some repairs bring danger and injury to your life. Are you at risk from any of these issues?

Who Can Claim For Housing Disrepair?

If you’re renting a property from a housing association or the council which is in a state of disrepair then you could start a claim. 

We currently DO NOT process claims for those renting from a private landlord.

Resolving housing disrepair disputes is complicated and difficult

speech marks

No one should have to tolerate what you're going through.

Everyone deserves a safe place to live without needing to fight for every repair.

Decision in Minutes

Takes just a few minutes to assess your housing repair claim.

speech bubbles icon

Free Consultation

If we can help, we’ll book a free no-obligation consultation to discuss your claim.

people icon

Legal Experts Who Care

We always put our clients first and fight for tenants living in unsatisfactory conditions.

Takes Minutes To Assess Your Housing Disrepair & Compensation Claim With Ashman's Solicitors

Use our form to initially check to see if you’re applicable for free repairs and possibly compensation.

Why Clients Just Like You Choose Ashmans Solicitors

house tick icon

Housing Experts

As established solicitors our local experts are qualified in housing disrepair claims.

7-days helpline icon

7-Days Helpline

You’re in safe hands and we’ll assess your claim any time so you don’t need to worry.

doc magnify icon

Free Case Evaluation

If we can help, we’ll book a free consultation and tell you how your case can be won.

no win no fee icon

No Win, No Fee

There’s no cost to you and no surprises. When we win, only the landlord pays.

Here's the plan:

We’ll take it from here

woman using keyboard

Your Claim

Share your details and we’ll assess your Housing Disrepair & Compensation Claim instantly.

women talking

Book A Free
20-min Consultation

We’ll arrange a time together with our housing experts explaining how we take your claim forwards.

woman using keyboard

Resolve your dispute and get the justice you deserve

We’ve helped other families with dozens of claims and built a great reputation earning our clients trust with our expertise.

Award-Winning Ashmans Solicitors Is Recognised By The Following Legal Authorities

Lexcel Law Society Accredited

What Clients Are Saying About Ashmans

Frequently Asked Questions

Simply put, housing disrepair means that the property you live in needs repairs for it to be deemed a safe and suitable place to live in. This term usually refers to rented properties where the responsibility for such repairs falls on the Council or Housing Association.

In most cases, the Council or Housing Association is required to respond with 20 working days after receiving a ‘Letter of Claim’. Once the process has started in this way it can take between 9-12 months for compensation to be received by claimants.

Any tenant in England & Wales who believes their Council or Housing Association is not taking responsibility for repair issues can bring a claim against them. Helping you to determine if you have a good case to make a claim is where we come in and this process is completely free.

As a tenant, you also have some responsibilities. According to Citizens Advice these are: looking after your home by using it in a ‘tenant like’ way; telling your Council or Housing Association about the repairs that are needed; providing access to have any repair work done; and having a duty of care to your visitors.

The amount of compensation you could be awarded will depend on the type and the severity of the disrepair. Usually, the typical amount of compensation ranges from 25% to 50% of the rent. If the rent over a year is £10,000 then you could be awarded £2,500. You can make a claim even if you do not pay the rent.

A Council or Housing Association is responsible for paying for repairs to: your home’s structure and exterior; the heating and hot water systems; all the sanitary fittings including pipes and drains (things like basins, sinks, and baths etc.); gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation; all the electrical wiring; any damage they cause through attempting repairs.

No, we will not take an upfront payment from you – and you will only have to pay us if you win your claim. We operate under a no-win, no-fee basis. If you do not win your case then you do not have to pay anything to us – but this changes if you have told us something that is not true, or has in any way misled us about your claim.

We hope that your claim will be successful. Ashmans Solicitors may take up to 25% of the money that you receive from your Council or Housing Association, however, this will be subject to your individual circumstances and the actual fee may be more or less than the quoted percentage.

It’s a very easy three-step process. Once you have submitted your free claim assessment form online, we will contact you about taking the next steps to make a claim.

For FREE Housing Disrepair Advice, Call

Helping Families

24 hrs / 7 days a week


Where to find Ashmans Solicitors


Ashmans Solicitors – Park Square East, Leeds*

9 Park Square East
West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Ashmans Solicitors Park Square East, Leeds

Ashmans Solicitors – Courtwood House, Sheffield

Courtwood House
Silver Street Head
S1 2DD
United Kingdom

Ashmans Solicitors Courtwood House, Sheffield

Ashmans Solicitors – Northumberland St, Huddersfield*

7 Northumberland St
West Yorkshire
United Kingdom

Ashmans Solicitors Northumberland St, Huddersfield

Ashmans Solicitors – Market Place, Dewsbury

26 Market Place
West Yorkshire
WF13 1DQ
United Kingdom

Ashmans Solicitors Market Place, Dewsbury

*By appointment only