Change of name

If you wish to change your name or the name of your child and intend to use the new name in documents like passports or driving licences then you need evidence of your name change.

Ashmans Solicitors can provide this evidence to you in the form of a Statutory Declaration. It is a simple process and can be done on the same day allowing you to walk away with evidence of your name change with ease and confidence.

Although an adult does not need consent to change their name a child’s name can only be changed with the consent of all persons with Parental Responsibility. A child’s parents can jointly act and have the right to name and re-name their child if they so wish however if one of the parents do not consent to the name change, the process may not be as simple.

Ashman’s Solicitors experienced team in such situations can assist in trying to acquire consent from those with Parental Responsibility in order to have your child’s name changed or if consent is still not forthcoming assist you in making an application to the court to have your child’s name changed.

It’s important to remember that the court recognise that a child’s surname is important as it is a part of your child’s identity but will grant an order if it is felt to be in your child’s best interests to do so.

Contact Ashmans Solicitors family law team for a competitive fixed fee quotation today.


Call our helpful family law department at Ashmans Solicitors today
on 03330 096 275 to receive confidential and helpful advice
or alternatively e-mail on


Send Your Enquiry


The service we offer to you is as individual as you are. Due to each matter being different and everyone having different needs and requirements, we know how important it is that you have a law firm to represent you that you can trust to act for you as an individual and not just as a case.

  • We are offer fast, efficient and expert advice immediately.
  • You are given a free initial consultation.
  • Our professional and experienced family law team will always put you and your child's best interest first.
  • We have multi lingual staff on hand to provide you with assistance.
  • Competitive prices
  • High success rate