Child Arrangement Orders

Usually known by various other names such as custody, residence, contact etc, this is one of the most important orders applied for following the breakdown of an acrimonious relationship. This application falls under s8 of the Children Act 1989 along with Prohibited Steps Orders and Specific Issue Orders. The order quite simply confirms who your child will live with and how much time they will spend with the parent that they do not live with.

It is always preferable for parents to reach an agreement in relation to arrangements concerning their children themselves however, such important decisions can be difficult to make, especially in the midst of an acrimonious divorce.

On occasion other objections such as, Drug misuse, Domestic Violence, Alcohol abuse and mental health are raised by one or both parties and the courts will therefore consider all these issues and determine if the risk they present can be appropriately safeguarded.

If you are concerned and feel an order confirming that your child needs to live with you is necessary or are being refused contact with your child then our family team at Ashmans Solicitors will provide you with sympathetic and robust advice clearly setting out all the options available to you and help you to resolve any contested issues raised in relation to your children. The courts will at all times do what it believes is in the children’s best interest and therefore their welfare will remain the courts paramount consideration. It is always important to remember that the longer you do not see your child the more difficult it will be to have your contact reinstated. Even with genuine reasons the court may question your commitment to your child and it is therefore important to seek legal advice sooner rather than later.


Children Act proceedings can prove costly in terms of legal fees so it is important that you get cost effective expert legal advice.  At Ashmans solicitors we provide help for parents who are struggling with a custodial dispute, whether or not they end up going to court for a child arrangement order. We provide advice and advocacy, help with drafting legal documents and agreements. Our services include:

Our team will assist you in filling forms and prepare legal documents required during the process of applying for and obtaining the order, and file the appropriate documents with the court.

Our experienced team at Ashmans Solicitors will prepare and send to the court the application for a child arrangements order, and arrange for the order to be served on the other parent or guardian. We prepare evidence and supplemental information for subsequent hearings, to ensure the courts have all the information they need to make a decision.


Call our helpful family law department at Ashmans Solicitors today
on 03330 096 275 to receive confidential and helpful advice
or alternatively e-mail on


Send Your Enquiry


The service we offer to you is as individual as you are. Due to each matter being different and everyone having different needs and requirements, we know how important it is that you have a law firm to represent you that you can trust to act for you as an individual and not just as a case.

  • We are offer fast, efficient and expert advice immediately.
  • You are given a free initial consultation.
  • Our professional and experienced family law team will always put you and your child's best interest first.
  • We have multi lingual staff on hand to provide you with assistance.
  • Competitive prices
  • High success rate