Fraud & Financial Crime
Ashman Solicitors’ expertise include the provision of legal aid for fraud and financial crime cases involving MTIC-VAT fraud.
MTIC stands for Missing Trader Intra-Community, and it consists in the abuse of VAT rules on transactions performed across different countries withing the European Union. This becomes possible since VAT is not chargeable on this type of transactions. A specific type of missing trader fraud is often referred as Carousel fraud.
What Is Carousel MTIC Fraud?
It is complicated to explain, but essentially
- Company 1 (registered for VAT in UK) will buy products from a supplier in the EU, and these goods will be zero rated for VAT as this is allowed as a transaction between two VAT registered companies in Europe, called ‘an intra community transaction’.
- Company 1 will then sell on the goods including VAT to another company in the UK, we’ll call them Company 2.
- Company 2 will sell on the goods again, including VAT to Company 3.
- Company 3 will then sell on the goods again, including VAT, to Company 4, who then sells the goods back to Company 1, and the whole process begins again.
Company 1 is the missing trader in this scenario, and companies 2, 3 and 4 may not be part of the fraud.
Carousel MTIC is a complex fraud which is undertaken with a number of different companies involved. Whilst all of the companies may not be complicit in the fraud, there will need to be thorough investigation carried out and this could have a negative impact on your business, whether your business is actually involved or not.
Being questioned or charged with Carousel MTIC fraud will be worrying and stressful for you, but we can help you to understand exactly what charges you are facing and what your next steps should be.
How Can Ashmans Solicitors Help?
You are facing serious fraud charges but we can help you to be clear about what these charges are, how they will impact you and what they may mean for your future and that of your business too.
A number of different agencies will be involved in investigating you and your business which is why it is extremely important to seek advice from an experienced criminal fraud defence solicitor as early as possible.
When you are at the police station being questioned, you are entitled to request free and independent legal advice from a solicitor of your choice, so you should stop immediately and pick up the phone to call on 03330 096 275.
We are an experienced and professional team of criminal fraud defence solicitors, who have been working hard to build the reputation we now have as being one of the leading fraud defence solicitors. We will use all of our experience and skills when defending you against the charges you are facing.
Whilst you may have concerns about the cost of hiring a solicitor, you may qualify for legal aid, which is now means tested. If not, we will be clear and up front about our fees and our rates are very competitive.
Don’t leave your future to chance, call us today so we can discuss how we can help you.
Why Choose Us?
Whether your legal problem is relating to fraud, criminal law, motoring offences or personal injury, we can help and there are a number of reasons why you should choose us.
- We have specialist Fraud Defence solicitors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so no matter when you need us, we can be there to give you the expert advice you need.
- Once you have instructed us we will select an experienced barrister, who is based nearby, and arrange a conference with them so you can be clear about your prospects
- Ashmans Solicitors has built a reputation as a leading criminal fraud defence practice, which means that we can put all of our experience behind you and make sure that we get you the best possible outcome, whatever fraud charges you are facing
- Because we have nationwide coverage, it doesn’t matter where you are in England or Wales, we can help you
- By being meticulous and not leaving any stone unturned when preparing your case, we are more likely to have found anything which may mitigate your charges and help your case
- If you are facing Proceeds Of Crime Act (POCA) proceedings following a conviction for fraud we will be able to help you to reduce the impact on you and your family using our skilled team to prepare for the hearing.