Drunk in Charge
Drunk in charge of a motor vehicle is not as serious an offence as drink driving is, however, this can still result in a driving ban, even if you were not driving or intending to drive your vehicle. Many people have been caught out sleeping off excess alcohol in their vehicles. Which has then resulted in them facing drunk in charge offenses which can affect your life in many negative ways. If you are found in your car after drinking alcohol. Furthermore you will need to show that you are not over the legal limit by providing a breath test. The legal limits in England and Wales are:
- 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100ml of breath
- 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood
- 107mg of alcohol in 100ml of urine
Once you have been tested at the roadside, you will then be taken to the police station for two additional tests. Consequently if these indicate you are still over the legal limit you will be charged. Call our Specialist Motoring Defence Solicitors immediately. There may be hope with the hip flask defence so please do call us.
What Are The Penalties For Drunk In Charge?
If you are caught in your vehicle over the legal limit, you will be arrested, charged and summoned to court. Once in court you will be faced with the following penalties:
- A maximum fine of £5,000
- 3 to 9 points on your licence
- A minimum mandatory driving ban of at least 12 months
- Community Service
- Electronic tagging and a curfew
- A maximum of 6 months in prison
- A new driver will have their licence revoked due to having more than 6 points on their licence within the first two years of driving
- You may face an additional ban due to the totting up of penalty points, which would be a minimum of 6 months
- A Criminal Record
What Can I Do?
Receiving early advice from a specialist solicitor will help you to to understand exactly where you stand and what the charges you are facing will mean for you. Contact us today to find out how we can help you. Please call our 24-Hour Emergency Number on 03330 096 275.
Related Article : Caught Without Insurance